Man electrocuted at Aboabo while stealing cables

By Maame Aba Afful
man_electrocuted_while_stealing_electricity_cables
Man electrocuted while stealing electricity cables

A 35-year old young man has been electrocuted after he tried to cut cables from an electricity pylon carrying 33,000 volts of energy at the Aboabo Extension in the Asokore Mampong Municipality of the Ashanti Region.

Residents of Aboabo Extension and on-lookers trooped to the ECG pylons behind Mighty Royal International School to catch a glimpse of the incident Tuesday morning.

The body of the deceased, identified only as Fatawu, was seen hanging on the pylon amidst the cables in a blue jacket over a pair of jeans, boots and a red cap.

According to an eyewitness, there was an explosion around 2:30 am followed by screams for help.

One of the residents, Musah Talash, who narrated the incident said “We heard an explosion all of a sudden. So we traced to find out where it happened. We saw a young man on the pylon and he was screaming for help. Before we returned to the scene in an hour’s time, he was dead. So we called the ECG and the Fire Service who came to remove him”.

He claimed that he believes the deceased is part of some cable-stealing syndicate whose activities often lead to intermittent power cuts in the area.

Manhyia Divisional Police Commander, ACP Kwaku Buah, who led police officers to convey the body to the mortuary described the incident as unfortunate.

A witness alleged that the deceased was part of a group which steals cables

According to him, Police have identified relatives of the deceased and are proceeding with investigations.

“It is an unfortunate thing. Young men should not die this way. A strong young man should not be doing this. It is bad. Apart from the fact that it is illegal to be cutting these cables which is carrying 33,000-volt of energy, it is dangerous to get close to it,” ACP Buah added.

Meanwhile, Ashanti Regional Public Relations Manager of the EGC, Erasmus Kyere Baidoo, warned the public to stay away from such danger zones.

“My advice is that no one should dare go closer to these cables. Even if you are in your abnormal sense, don’t think that you can survive with this.”

Officers from the Ghana National Fire Service, the Electricity Company of Ghana, and the Police, removed the body which was hanging on the pylon.

The body has been deposited at the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital morgue for autopsy and further investigations into the incident.

Credit: citifmonline.com

www.primenewsghana.com/GhanaNews