Prime News Ghana

Death toll of Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack rises to 8 - Foreign Affairs Ministry

By Vincent Ashitey
Foreign Minister Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa
Foreign Minister Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa
Shares
facebook sharing button Share
twitter sharing button Tweet
email sharing button Email
sharethis sharing button Share

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has confirmed that the number of Ghanaians killed in the recent terrorist attack in Titao, in northern Burkina Faso, has risen to eight.

In a press release issued on Tuesday, the Ministry said the latest victim, who had been receiving medical treatment after sustaining serious injuries, succumbed, bringing the total number of Ghanaian fatalities to eight.

The victims were members of the Ghana National Tomatoes Traders and Transporters Association who were engaged in lawful trading activities in the area when they were attacked by suspected jihadist terrorists on February 14, 2026.

President John Mahama has conveyed their condolences to the bereaved families and expressed solidarity with the Government and people of Burkina Faso.

“The Government of Ghana strongly condemns this mindless act of terror,” the statement said, stressing the need for a renewed collective regional approach to tackling insecurity in the sub-region.

The Ministry further disclosed that, on the direct instruction of President John Mahama, a medical evacuation operation has been swiftly activated to bring home all injured Ghanaian victims.

"On President Mahama's instruction — all injured Ghanaians are to be evacuated by medevac today," Ablakwa stated, confirming that the Ghana Airforce is executing the operation. The victims are expected to arrive on Ghanaian soil later today.

"We extend our deepest condolences to all bereaved families and loved ones," the Foreign Minister added.

Ghana's Ambassador to Burkina Faso and mission staff remain actively seized with the matter, maintaining direct contact with the injured compatriots. The Government acknowledged the full cooperation of Burkinabe authorities in granting the necessary approvals to facilitate Ghana's interventions aimed at protecting its citizens.

In a development, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs has unveiled new, stringent travel guidelines for Ghanaians intending to visit high-risk areas within the sub-region. 

Citizens are now strongly advised to first contact the Ministry or Ghana's Embassies accredited to the territories they wish to visit for necessary guidance before embarking on any essential travel to areas of concern.

For Ghanaians already residing in jurisdictions where violent extremism attacks have been recorded, the government recommends that movement be restricted. Such individuals are urged to maintain regular communication with Ghanaian Embassies, provide emergency contacts, and ensure that identification documents are accessible at all times to expedite the provision of consular assistance should the need arise.