The government has announced a support package for citizens being evacuated from South Africa following ongoing xenophobic attacks targeting other African nationals.
In a public notice issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, authorities assured affected Ghanaians that measures had been put in place to support their safe return and reintegration into society.
The statement said all Ghanaians evacuated from South Africa due to the attacks would benefit from several forms of assistance aimed at helping them settle back into life in Ghana.
According to the Ministry, returnees will receive a “Welcome Home Financial Package” as part of the government’s immediate relief efforts.
The evacuees will also be offered transportation assistance to help them travel to their various destinations across the country after arriving in Ghana.

In addition, the government announced plans to provide a reintegration allowance to support returnees as they rebuild their lives after leaving South Africa under difficult circumstances.
Recognising the emotional and psychological impact of the attacks, the Ministry stated that free psychosocial support services would also be made available to affected persons.
The government further disclosed that evacuees would be entered into a special database designed to connect them with job opportunities and startup support programmes.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs described the intervention as part of the government’s commitment to protecting the welfare of Ghanaian citizens abroad and supporting them in times of crisis.
“We value and cherish all our citizens,” the statement said.
Meanwhile, the first batch of 300 Ghanaians living in South Africa will be evacuated through a special chartered flight scheduled for Thursday, May 21.