The management of the Accra Mall is hopeful that the shopping centre will resume full operations by Saturday, October 13, 2018, following the ceiling collapse on Thursday, October 11, 2018.
“Mall Management says it is hopeful that the entire mall will be operational by Saturday 13th October 2018”.
The statement reiterated that the facility’s benchmark for the customer and public safety remains paramount and it would adopt every necessary step to safeguard these standards.
Although the National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO) and the police have cordoned off the affected area following a preliminary assessment of the damage, the management of the mall says the other shops remain open for business.
“All other sections of the shopping centre, such as the Food Court and all the shops on the Shoprite wing of the Accra mall are now operational.”
The statement, signed by its Marketing Manager, Denise Asare, said the Accra Mall was conducting an independent probe to determine the cause of the collapse and will duly inform the public of its findings.
Meanwhile, NADMO had earlier confirmed that three persons were injured after portions of the ceiling of the shopping centre’s electronics hub collapsed.
According to the Director of Geological Disasters at NADMO, Richard Amo Yartey explained that the three, all Nigerian nationals, were receiving treatment at the Mall clinic.
“Portions of the ceiling of the electronics hub collapsed. We’ve found out that three persons were injured. They are Nigerians and are undergoing treatment at the Mall Clinic. NADMO and the Ghana Police Service have cordoned off the electronics hub, whilst investigations to find the cause of the collapse continue.”
Mr Amo Yartey added that NADMO is conducting an assessment of the damage caused by the collapse while the area has been cordoned off.
“NADMO will conduct an independent investigation but the owners of the premises will also have to conduct investigations to ascertain the cause. We are assessing the situation. After the assessment, we’ll hold a briefing session for the media. The whole area is cordoned off. We are restricting [people] from entering the area whilst the assessment is ongoing.”