Prime News Ghana

Dome Faase clash: Military vacate area after retrieving gun seized by youth

By Mutala Yakubu
facebook sharing button Share
twitter sharing button Tweet
email sharing button Email
sharethis sharing button Share

The Military has vacated Domeabra-Obom after retrieving two guns seized by the youth of the town.

There was a heavy security presence at Dome Faase near Obom Domeabra in the Greater Accra Region after a 'bloody' clash injuring two soldiers and some residents over land ownership.

The youth had seized the guns of these two soldiers and decided not to hand it over but it has now been retrieved.

After the clashes, residents fled the town as the military had invaded the area.

READ ALSO: Dome Faase clash : Military will not hurt you, just be calm - MP to residents

Over 60 residents of the town have been arrested following the clashes.

The clash came about after two military personnel and some civilians clashed with residents of the town over a land boundary dispute.

The coalition of Ga communities which comprises of over 20 communities and share a border with the Eastern Region alleged that the Mponuahene of Akyem Apadwa and the Akyem Traditional Council were taking their farmlands from them hence the resistance that led to the chaos.

However the Chief of Obom Traditional Council, Nii Kpakpo Amartey has called on the Presidency to act swiftly to resolve this dispute before it escalates.

"Practically, we are not in an era of tribal intimidation. So the Akyem Mponua hene and the estate development company should be mindful that administrative boundaries do not serve as chieftaincy boundaries. Moreover, nobody is above the laws of the country. We are stating emphatically that we will not sit idle and watch on for these atrocities to go on. We the members of the affected communities are prepared to tame them as men of valour and might. We are certain that the office of the President will not superintend over land guard issues so the office must act swiftly to bring the activities of these hooligans to a halt before any escalation.”

One of the two Military men who was assaulted by the angry crowd said they were wrongly assaulted.

“Our work is that we give warning shots so when the other side stops, both leaders will sit down and talk. But this one didn’t happen like that. They came and attacked us and said we came here voluntarily and not by assignments. We are known soldiers and we are not doing illegal or criminal work. My major concern is that the people didn’t ask us anything and they started beating us.”