Be it a snack, dessert or meal on its own, Springrolls remain one of Ghana's favourite pastries. Follow these simple steps to learn how to make springrolls the Ghanaian way.
Ingredients for preparing springrolls
4 Tablespoons of flour
1 Tablespoon margarine
3 Tablespoons Mixed Veggies
1/2 onion chopped
1 medium sized Chicken breast (chopped)
Egg white as binding agent
Oil for deep frying
How to make Springrolls
-Pour the plain flour into the mixing bowl and add the salt to taste
- Add the margarine/1 Table vegetable oil and mix well
- Add cold water to make a soft dough
-Allow dough to rest and prepare the stuffing
-Put your saucepan on the hub and add about a table spoon of oil
- Add the onion and fry for about a min
- Add the chopped chicken breast
- Allow to cook through for about 5min, whiles turning intermittently.
- Add the mixed veggies and allow on for another 5 min
- Add a little water to make it saucy
- Add a little gravy powder/ flour to keep it more like gravy sauce
- Allow the sauce to cool
- Take the dough and with the rolling pin on the board or work surface, roll the dough till its very flat and light.
-Cut the dough into good sizes
- Use egg whit as a sticking agent and with the pastry brush, brush the egg whilt over the pastruies
- Put in the fillings on the individual doughs and fold them nicely, making sure all ends are nicely tucked in.
- Egg wash the rolls
- Deep fry the rolls in hot frying oil, so they don’t go soggy
- Remove when golden brown and allow to cook.
You can serve springrolls with shito or a sauce of choice or with your favourite chilled fruit juice.