Puff puff is a deep-fried dough. They are made from yeast dough, shaped into balls, and deep-fried until golden brown.
It has a doughnut-like texture but is slightly chewier. It is a very common snack eaten by so many countries but with different names and a little bit of variation in the mode of preparation.
Puff puff is an African classic, usually sold in street-side shops.
We also have other variations of puff puff like the spicy puff puff, plantain puff puff, and Banana Puff puff.
Our recipe for today is banana puff puff it has the same ingredient as the normal puff puff but just an addition of banana.
This recipe can be served as one of the best breakfasts, brunch, or even lunch.
READ ALSO: How to prepare a delicious peanut butter protein shake
1 cup (240ml) warm water
2 ¼ teaspoon (7grams) active dry yeast 1 packet
¼ - ½ cup (50- 100grams) sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 large bananas mashed about 1-1/4 cup
3 cups (360grams) flour
1 teaspoon Nutmeg
Oil for deep-frying
- In a large bowl add the warm water, salt, sugar, and yeast. Set aside for 5 minutes
- Then add mashed bananas and mix with a wooden spoon or hands preferably, followed by flour, and nutmeg. Mix well until flour and bananas have been fully incorporated.
- Set the mixture in a warm area and let it rise and double in size -approximately 1- 2 hours
- In a large, saucepan pour vegetable oil, until it is at least 3 inches (or about 5 centimeters) high (too little will result in flatter balls), and place on medium heat until oil is 375 degrees.
- The dough is going to be sticky so use your hands to grab a little bit of mixture at a time and drop in the oil or use a spoon to spoon up the batter, and another spoon or spatula to drop it in the oil, sort of in the shape of a ball. Do not overcrowd the pan.
- Do so in batch
- Fry for a few minutes until the bottom side is golden brown.
- Turn the ball over and fry for a few more minutes until the other side is golden brown.
- Use a large spoon or something like that to take it out of the oil.
- I usually place them on napkins right away to soak the oil.