Prime News Ghana

Black Stars World Cup squad to be announced on June 1

By Vincent Ashitey
Shares
facebook sharing button Share
twitter sharing button Tweet
email sharing button Email
sharethis sharing button Share

Ghana Football Association (GFA) President Kurt Okraku has confirmed that the Black Stars’ squad for the 2026 FIFA World Cup will be announced on June 1.

He said this following Ghana’s 2-0 defeat to Mexico in an international friendly on Saturday.

Despite the loss, Okraku described the match as a valuable exercise that achieved its main objective of giving exposure to emerging players and members of the U-23 team ahead of the Olympic qualifiers.

In a Facebook post, the GFA President said the friendly provided an important platform for players who rarely feature for the senior national team.

“Objective accomplished! This event has provided significant stage exposure for the majority of our U-23 players, who will soon assemble for the Olympic qualifiers, as well as other players who had limited playing time,” he wrote.

He added that the technical team also used the opportunity to closely assess players who are not regulars in the Black Stars setup.

“Furthermore, it offers a substantial opportunity for us to evaluate players with whom we may be less acquainted, having perhaps only previously known them through reports,” Okraku stated.