Ugandan Cranes and Mamelodi Sundowns goalkeeper Denis Onyango has made the list of the top 16 best goalkeepers in the world through The International Federation of Football History & Statistics' (IFFHS) rating.
Onyango, who makes a second appearance on the list since 2016, will be hugely proud to note that he is the only African player on the list.
“He [Onyango] received one point from the IFFHS jury, which consists of football experts from 90 countries around the world, and ended up in joint-16th position alongside Russia's Igor Akinfeev, Mexico's Guillermo Ochoa and Switzerland's Yann Sommer,” confirmed Soccer Laduma.
Top 16 List:
1. Thibaut Courtois – Belgium (Chelsea/ Real Madrid): 181 points
2. Hugo Lloris – France (Tottenham): 109 points
3. Gianluigi Buffon – Italy (Juventus/PSG): 59 points
4. Keylor Navas – Costa Rica (Real Madrid): 58 points
5. Jan Oblak – Slovenia (Atletico Madrid): 49 points
_ Marc André Ter Stegen – Germany (Barcelona): 49 points
7. Allison Ramses Becker – Brazil (Liverpool): 36 points
8. David De Gea – Spain (Manchester United): 33 points
9. Danijel Subasic – Croatia (AS Monaco): 23 points
10. Manuel Neuer – Germany (Bayern Munich): 20 points
11. Jordan Pickford – England (Everton): 11 points
12. Kasper Schmeichel – Denmark (Leicester City): 9 points
13. Ederson – Brazil (Manchester City): 6 points
14. Samir Handanovic – Slovenia (Inter Milan): 4 points
15. Franco Armami – Argentina ( River Plate): 3 points
16. Denis Onyango – Uganda (Mamelodi Sundowns):1 point
The 33-year-old Onyango missed Sundowns’ CAF Champions win over Leones Vegetarianos on Wednesday night through a knee injury but will be hoping to be fit for the club’s next Absa Premiership game against Baroka on 11 December.