Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, the United Kingdom former royal, has been arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office.
A statement from Thames Valley police was released Thursday that said, “As part of the investigation, we have today (19/2) arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office and are carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk.”
“The man remains in police custody at this time.”
King Charles II said after arrest that “the law must take its course” in the investigation of his brother.
Mountbatten-Windsor, the British former prince, was stripped of his title last year over his friendship with the late sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, amid ongoing furore over accusations against him of sexual assault, which he denies.
Police officers were investigating him for several allegations that emerged after US authorities released more than 3 million pages of documents relating to the disgraced financier.
Some of those files suggested that Mountbatten-Windsor had, in 2010, forwarded to Epstein reports about Vietnam, Singapore and other places he had visited on official trips as UK trade envoy. In one confidential memo, he sought Epstein’s views on investment opportunities in Afghanistan’s Helmand province.
“We will not be naming the arrested man, as per national guidance. Please also remember that this case is now active so care should be taken with any publication to avoid being in contempt of court,” the police statement added.
Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said: “Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office.
“It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence. We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time.”
Mountbatten-Windsor should cooperate with the United States authorities in their investigation, the UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer has said. “No one is above the law,” he added. Mountbatten-Windsor has consistently denied any wrongdoing.
“This is such an unprecedented action and move for a prince that was one time the queen’s favourite child, who held a number of high-profile roles within the British establishment, who gradually had this fall from grace because of his association with a convicted pedophile,” said Al Jazeera’s Milena Veselinovic, reporting from London. “This is yet another blow to the branding of the monarchy.”
Michael Walker, a political commentator and contributing editor at Novara Media, says the developments are “incredibly damaging” for the UK’s monarchy and establishment, more generally.
“There is an impression that even though Andrew has been pushed out of the royal family, it was always one step behind,” he told Al Jazeera.
“There is no impression that the royal family sort of learned about these things and was genuinely morally outraged so therefore pushed Andrew to the side,” he added.
“It always seems like they are a step behind, there’s a PR disaster and they say, ‘How do we distance ourselves from this man who is an embarrassment’ – as opposed to “How do we sort of bring about consequences for this man who has morally erred’.”
The arrest comes after the royal family last week committed to cooperate with the police on any investigation regarding Mountbatten-Windsor.
Aljazeera