PrimeNewsGhana

Alleged Jubilee House takeover: ACP Agordzor on hunger strike, faces court today

By Mutala Yakubu

ACP Dr. Benjamin Agordzor, who has been picked up for allegedly being involved in the attempted jubilee House takeover has gone on a hunger strike at the BNI office and is set to face the court today November 6, 2019.

He is expected to be arraigned before the Kaneshie District Court. He was denied bail by the BNI and has been in their custody since Monday, November 4, 2019.

He becomes the third police officer who has been invited and questioned for his alleged involvement in the supposed plot.

READ ALSO: Alleged Jubilee House takeover: Lawyer Martin Kpebu denied access to ACP Agordzor

ACP Agordzor’s lawyer, Martin Kpebu, told the media that his client was interrogated based on his participation and comment in a WhatsApp group created by the supposed leaders in the destabilization plot.

“It turned out that, the BNI are unwilling to grant him bail. They rather said they will arraign him at the Kaneshie District Court [this morning] so we go and apply for bail in that court. But this is the smack; we know that the District Court has no jurisdiction to try this matter. So it means that frankly speaking, we can’t get bail in that court. So we will take steps to go to the High Court to get him bail.”

His lawyer and family members yesterday confirmed that they were not allowed to see him and that he has gone on a hunger strike as well.

“His wife prevailed upon him but he said ‘No’, he is not going to eat. He is abhorred at how the BNI is treating him,” he revealed.

“If you see the kind of people who were interviewing us, you will see that, no, this was a witch hunt, it was not treason"

“A trial for treason, you would have seen very senior officers there. We were interviewed by kids. They were reading and holding on to words out of context. It was so farcical,” his lawyer told Joy News

They believe that his arrest is a political witch-hunt. The BNI and National Security operations have confirmed that former Executive Secretary at the office of the IGP, Superintendent Peter Toobu Lanchene has also been invited for questioning.

Supt. Toobu, who is the NDC parliamentary candidate for Wa West Constituency in the Upper West Region also worked in the office of former IGP, David Asante-Apeatu.

COP Nathan Kofi Boakye, has also been interrogated in connection with the development. He was invited last week.

READ ALSO: Alleged Jubilee House takeover: BNI invites Ex-IGP’s former Executive Secretary for questioning

Already, some nine persons including Dr. Frederick Yao Mac-Palm, who’s believed to be the lead mastermind, have been charged for treason felony and are standing trial.