Prime News Ghana

Family accuses Adentan Police over death of 47-year old man

By Wendy Amarteifio
Family accuses Adentan Police of death of 47-year old man

Some officers at the Adentan police station have been accused by the family of a 47-year old man of beating their relative to death.

According to the family, their relative; Graham Owusu Sakyi, was beaten until he fell into a coma and was sent to the police hospital. This, they say led to his death six days later.

Kwasi Nuamah Kutin, uncle of the deceased who narrated their ordeal to Citinews monitored by PrimeNewsGhana said, the family wants the appropriate authorities to be provided with the true story for justice to be served.

The uncle of the deceased said he went to meet his nephew in an unconscious state at the police hospital hours after he was informed of the incident.

“At 10 am on Saturday, I got to know that my nephew had been taken to the Police Hospital. Because I didn’t consider it as anything major, I didn’t go to the hospital until around 2 pm. So when I got there he had been taken to the medical ward. He was unconscious, he could neither see nor speak.”

“My unofficial communication with the police revealed that there was a swoop at Adenta, where two other men together with my nephew were arrested. Those two were sent to the police station, but my nephew was taken to the hospital because of his condition''.

According to him, he was surprised to have found his nephew in the hospital; described as a suspect.

“When I inquired from the hospital authorities, I was told that he was brought to the facility in that state. He had ‘suspect’ written as his name on his folder so I believe he was taken there by the police.

According to the family of the deceased, after series of medical tests, they detected that Graham might have been hit in the head because he suffered from haemorrhage adding that ‘he couldn’t speak, his brain and other body organs were not functioning properly.

READ ALSO:Nungua shooting: Police cooked-up robbery story- Brother of deceased speaks

Despite the family’s efforts to get proper treatment for their relative, all attempts to revive Graham yielded no positive results.

The family is also accusing the police of negligence for failing to follow-up on the deceased.

“Unfortunately, after getting him all the needed medication from the doctor’s prescription, he died last Wednesday. Although he had been declared a suspect, there was not a single day where the police checked up on him,''.Mr Kwasi Nuamah Kutin said.

The family, of the deceased, is also cautioning that it will exhaust all available means to ensure that finality is brought to the matter.

“Currently, we have ordered for a post-mortem. We also want to see the police with a lawyer. We do not want to go alone because there are questions to be answered. What we want to know is the truth of what happened. If there are any correctional measures to be made, they are done so that this doesn’t happen to someone else because my relative can never hurt a fly. He was very respectful and bright so I don’t expect him to be treated in this manner.”

Meanwhile, the family wants the police to be cautious in their daily activities so they do not repeat any actions that may lead to ‘unnecessary deaths’.

Ghana News: Latest news in Ghana