Odorna fire caused by faulty refrigerator

By Wendy Amarteifio
Odorna
Odorna fire caused by faulty refrigerator

At the Odorna Market at the Kwame Nkrumah Circle, findings of an investigation into the fire outbreak that gutted about 150 shops have indicated that the fire occurred as a result of a faulty refrigerator.

According to the Accra Metropolitan Assembly boss, Mohammed Nii Adjei Sowah, the report mentioned that the refrigerator caught fire in a wooden structure and spread to other stalls within the market.

The Odorna Market, which was hit by the fire outbreak last week was opened on Monday, January 21, 2019, after a temporary shutdown to allow for investigations.

AMA boss in a Citinews interview monitored by PrimeNewsGhana cautioned traders to desist from undertaking activities that were likely to facilitate fire in the market.

READ ALSO: Odawna fire: Market reopens to public after outbreak

According to him, “One of the shops had two refrigerators, one of which was faulty and spark the fire. Unfortunately, it was a wooden structure so it caught flames and it spread very fast. We want to make sure that some of these things do not happen in our markets.”

AMA boss, Mohammed Nii Adjei Sowah

Meanwhile, some traders said the closure of the affected part of the market will worsen their situation as they do not have other alternative sources of livelihood.

However, the Klottey-Korley Member of Parliament, Zanetor Agyeman-Rawlings, in whose jurisdiction the market is located, has called for an immediate structural integrity assessment of the market to avert future outbreaks.

At the market, an opinion leader known as Salamatu Adams, also wants the Metropolitan Assembly to stop people from sleeping and cooking in the market.

 

Ghana News: Latest news in Ghana